Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Praise You in the Storm

We went to the Casting Crowns concert in Ft. Wayne (in late November). They played the song "Praise You in the Storm," which I vividly remember hearing as we were driving away from one of the darker Dr. visits we had during Sophia's issues. I'll never forget hearing the lyrics "I lift my hands and praise the God who gives...and takes away." As I wrote here, that was a faith stretching moment. Could I really praise God in the storm...Man, at the time, I didn't know if I even wanted to, but we did. It's all we could do.

At the concert, a tsunami washed over me all over again. Sophia was alive, healthy, growing, and my little girl. The song brought back those months to my mind, and I cried tears of relief and thankfulness...Tears of grace and mercy received...not just for my little girl, but for me too.

Now the words that stand out so clearly are different..."As the thunder rolls, I barely hear Your whisper through the rain, "I'm with you."

It brought back home just how blessed we really are. I invite you to listen to Casting Crowns sing this song that has meant so much to me and my family.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great song - I hope everyone who reads your blog takes the time to listen and read the words along with it.

I am curious, now that you are through the storm are you able to evaluate it and discern a purpose for it? Was it a refining fire? Was it an attack, trying to destroy your heart so your ministry would be ineffective? Was it simply the result of a fallen world that contains such adversity? Maybe all 3?

Whatever the answer is I certainly want to join you in praising God. Sophia seems perfect now, thank God for medicine, science, technology, and more importantly his grace that brought you all through. Thank you to both you and Stephanie for sharing along the way, you allowed us all to share in the good and the bad of this experience by praying and now seeing His faithfulness.

Mark said...

Thanks, Todd!

I think the broken world thing is the cause, but I think it became the opportunity for attack and refinement.

I'd love to say that I fought off every attack successfully, but I didn't. I think that was the refinement for me: It's easy to think we're strong, when really we are so weak.

The biggest lesson I learned is a fuller understanding of mercy (as I wanted it more than ever). I realize afterwards that I had been confusing mercy and grace when they are two very different things.

Mercy is God giving Sophia healing, a donor giving blood allowing Sophia to live without lasting deficiencies, medicine to keep her healthy, and friends who cried, worried, celebrated, and prayed with us.