Monday, December 24, 2007

Lost in Translation...

Reading my daily blogs, I came across an article by Andrew Connard. He sees a really cool site that does concise, post-Modern, teaching videos. The particular video he references was on blogging, and I highly recommend seeing the clip...it's quite witty.

Anyhow, he asked the question, "Why aren't we doing this?"

Being who I am, I asked, "Why not!?!" Then I emailed Bishop Coyner about the idea of doing short video clips about Baptism, Communion, What is Church, etc. These videos could be tools for all UMC's to use in Confirmation classes, Membership classes, even on websites.

My biggest question in all of this is as follows: Are we willing to do things in new and innovative ways to reach new people?

I looked at a section of the UMC.org website for seekers, and it was a page with a huge amount of text. No videos. No flash. No eye-candy.

Yes, we have good information, but I don't think we were or are translating our important message very well.

Take a look at the video, and please comment: What would you like your church to answer with a short, teaching video like this?

1 comment:

Jeff said...

When Andrew first posted this video I was excited about the possibility of short teaching pieces - baptism, communion, etc. As I've thought about it more, it seems the possibilities are endless. Local churches could teach about their own structure and inner-workings, pastors can promo upcoming sermon series' (and even request feedback - see Adam Hamilton's new blog).

I don't see the denomination as a whole moving forward too quickly with this tech though. I fear it's too much of a dinosaur in too many ways. I think it's going to take individual people and churches to really make this kind of stuff happen.