Wednesday, March 26, 2008

D-....I PASSED!

Just kidding....

I did however pass...my ordination interviews that is! I have been approved for ordination, which means that, Lord willing, I will be officially ordained on May 31st. Yeah!

I was commissioned in 2005, and now, three years later, I will be ordained an Elder in the United Methodist Church. This means that I am a servant ordained to Service, Word, and Sacrament. It has a few techinical differences compared to the Probationary status: The biggest being that I can baptize and serve communion outside our facility...as well as I am now guaranteed a pastoral appointment.

It's been nearly 10 years from when I first felt the call to ministry to now, and it feels like an eternity in some regard. College, seminary, Commissioning, and the Probationary Elder period...not to mention the amount of theological writing. Wow.

However, I AM glad that we have safeguards to our pastoral system. With the Episcopal system that appoints Elders, I do feel it necessary that we have a clear understanding of our Ordained Elders and their training. It is a safeguard for every church, and an excellent refinement for every pastor.

So, in the end, this is a mini-celebration before the big one, on May 31st. If you want, come and see me ordained at the place I first felt my call: Purdue University. I'd love to celebrate with all my friends. BYODC....bring your own diet coke.


My only question is...will Bishop Mike get to wear that great hat!?!

2 comments:

Todd said...

Congratulations!!! Sorry if I am being stupid, but are you saying you will be ordained on May 31st at Purdue? And that we can come there to celebrate with you? (assuming we do not expect you or the methodist church to provide Diet Coke for one and all and that we indeed bring our own as you say)

Anonymous said...

DUDE-Congratulations!! You are an awesome example of God's call to leadership!! The next church you call home will be very lucky to have you!! You ROCK!!! Cindy :D