Monday, August 13, 2007

Words

"Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

It's a nice theoretical line. I remember saying it as a child. It was the perfect response to all those who put us down. I think we all so desperately want this to be true...words never hurting us. But, we know it's a lie.

The alternative 90's rock band, Bush, wrote a line "nothing hurts like...your mouth...your mouth...your mouth." Indeed, nothing hurts any worse than cutting words from those around us. Gossip, slander, lies, even hurtful truths can cut our souls to the quick. If words had no effect, why do we work so hard perfecting our comebacks and our put downs.

The number one thing that makes me angry, and I do mean angry, is when someone talks behind someone's back. Cowards without the guts to say things to one's face speak criticisms so easily when there are no repurcussions. What astounds me is the way our culture has embraced this attitude. Speaking truth to someone is "rude," while destroying someone behind their back is acceptable.

It is amazing to see someone abhor violence or violent TV and movies use words to beat others to death. Ironically, one of the loudest voices in theological pacificism is one of the most verbally violent people I have ever met.

Proverbs 16:27-28 says, "A scoundrel plots evil, and his speech is like a scorching fire. A perverse man stirs up dissension, and a gossip separates close friends."

I've found that nothing hurts others like the words we use. They separate friends. They lead to divorce. They lead youth to see themselves as ugly or fat or unsuccessful.

Words have power, and they can do more damage than any weapon ever will.

Beat me with sticks. Flog me. Do what you will, but please, don't cut me with words. They go deep, and they wound the soul.

I pray for all of us: that we are able to watch what we say, knowing that what we say about others can encourage them or harm them. Real friends, real Christians talk to each other. This is love. That is what it means to follow Jesus.

No comments: