Thursday, August 02, 2007

Weary


Have you ever been weary? I don't mean tired, but weary. We all get tired quite often. We work hard or don't get enough sleep or sometimes we even play ourselves tired. Tiredness isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just running out of steam for the day. We rest, get some sleep, and we are recharged for the next day.

Weary is different. It is an exhaustion, an emptiness. It is a feeling that one has nothing left to give. Weariness, though, often is an expression of the soul. It is a tiredness of the heart.

I know a lot of people who feel weary right now. I think I'm there, too. Jobs, busyness, complaints, stress, lack of encouragement, unrelenting demands: These all make us weary.

Too often we dismiss weariness as tiredness. Weariness, however, is not solved by merely sleeping. One must find peace and strength to face the arduousness of life. Sometimes that means taking some time off. For others it might mean picking up a hobby to escape or unwind. Others need to spend time with their friends. In a time when we have so much and we have the means to spend out time as we wish, I find it ironic that we are so weary. Perhaps finding the rest from weariness is more than time "away."

Jesus said, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."

My prayer for all of us who are weary is that we might find rest in Jesus. That we would know that we are not alone. That we would remember that Jesus taught us to stop all of the busyness and take time for each other. May we remember that Sabbath is for us, and a day of rest is holy time. God, may we find rest in you...heal our weary souls.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Thanks for this post Mark, I'll be quoting it shortly. I'm back from a mission trip last week and definately feeling weary today. There is much to be done in the office and I'm leaving tonight to see my sister-in-law for the weekend. But, maybe I'm going to sneak out of here to play a little golf this afternoon, could be just what I need to overcome this weariness!

Anonymous said...

yep, this is me and has been me for about 3-4 months. I was remembering that exact scripture verse "come to Me all who are weary and heavy burdened and I will give you rest" and I felt this peace come over me that I wanted to last. When I get to that place when I know I need to remember that God is in control, and he without fail, is there to give me rest, that sustains me.